Hale Telescope is a 5.1m (200 inch) Reflector Telescope at Palomar Observatory. It began operation in 1949 and was the largest reflecting telescope until 1976 when the BTA-6 was built. It is named for George Ellery Hale who orchestrated its construction.
The telescope has an Equatorial Mount, using a Serrurier Truss, a design that maintains optical alignment despite Gravity. The mirror is a glass (Pyrex) Monolithic Mirror made by Corning Glass Works. It is designed so it can function as a Cassegrain Reflector, a Prime Focus reflector, or a Coudé Focus Telescope reflector.
Among its current instruments:
Instruments listed in the past:
Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies (APG)
Coudé Focus Telescope
Palomar Four-Filter Survey (PC)