Autism Books - Family and Sibling Issues
- Cindy N. Ariel, editor & Robert A. Naseef, editor.
- Voices from the Spectrum: Parents, Grandparents, Siblings, People With Autism, And Professionals Share Their Wisdom
(Jessica Kingsley Pub, forthcoming).
ISBN: 1843107864 (paperback, 256 pages, due 2/15/2006).
- Sandra L. Harris.
- Siblings of Children with Autism: A guide for Families
(Rockville, Maryland: Woodbine House, 1994).
Part of the series Topics in Autism.
One reader: found it useful when dealing with 6-year-old brother. 1995 Literay Achievement Award from the ASA. http://www.woodbinehouse.com/scwa.html Replaced by 2nd edition.
ISBN: 0933149719 (paperback, 127 pages).
- Sandra L. Harris & Beth A. Glasberg.
- Siblings of Children with Autism: A guide for Families, 2nd edition
(Woodbine House, 2003).
ISBN: 1890627291 (paperback, 180 pages).
- Charles A. Hart.
- Without Reason: A family copes with Two Generations of Autism
(New York: Harper & Row, 1989).
Written by a man who had an autistic brother and (in the '70s) an autistic son. Reader: inspiring, readable, intelligent. Reader: good account to be read by teen siblings because it describes a sibling's experience.
ISBN: 0451169409 ; ISBN: 0060161434 (292 pages); ISBN: 1885477694 (292 pages, Future Horizons).
- Paul Karasik & Judy Karasik.
- The Ride Together: A Brother and Sister's Memoir of Autism in the Family
(Washington Square, 2003).
ISBN: 0743423364 (hardcover, 208 pages).
- Earle P. Martin, Jr..
- Dear Charlie - A Grandfather's Love Letter to his Grandson with Autism
(Future Horizons, 2000).
ISBN: 1885477619 (paperback, 156 pages).
- Peter Randall & Jonathan Parker.
- Supporting the Families of Children with Autism
(John Wiley, 1999).
ISBN: 0471982180 (paperback, 252 pages); ISBN: 0471974846 (hardcover).
- Marsha Sarah Rosenberg.
- Coping When a Brother or Sister Is Autistic
(Rosen Publishing Group, 2000).
Part of the series Coping.
ISBN: 0823931943 (hardcover).
- Bryna Siegel & Stuart C. Silverstein.
- What About Me? Growing up with a Developmentally Disabled Sibling
(Insight Books, 1994).
Written by siblings of autistic kids. One subscriber found it an excellent book for her 14 year old NT son.
ISBN: 0306446502 (hardcover, 296 pages); ISBN: 073820630X (paperback, 316 pages, Perseus Publishing, 2001).