(measurement of magnetic field β)
The Gauss (G or Gs) is the CGS unit of the Magnetic Field
(Magnetic Flux Density or Magnetic Induction).
Defined as one Maxwell per square
centimeter. The Tesla is the SI unit for the same quantity,
and one gauss is 10-4 tesla.
- 0.31-0.58 gauss - Earth's magnetic field at the surface.
- 25 gauss - Earth's magnetic field at the core.
- 50 gauss - typical refrigerator magnet.
- 1 gauss - typical magnetic field at surface of the Sun.
- 4000 gauss - magnetic field around a large Sunspot.
Interstellar Magnetic Field (ISMF)
Magnetic Flux Density (B)